|Seven years later she still has those mischievous eyes, but wouldn't be caught dead in a princess dress of any sort.|
This is probably her last year for trick-or-treat.
|About 35 years earlier, I wore that same dress (made by my grandma) as Little Bo Peep on the Trask Jewelry float in the Covered Bridge Festival parade. I wonder who will get to wear it next, and what it will be?|
Here's what else is happening on Halloween weekend in Winterset:
- There's a Great Pumpkin Party with a free hot dog dinner tonight (Thursday) from 4:30 to 7:00 at New Bridge Church, and all are invited. They'll have candy, games, face painting, animal balloons, and free pictures of kids in costume. New Bridge Church is at 1305 W. Jefferson.
- The Winterset Art Center is open for two more nights of Happy Hollow Halloween House, Thursday and Friday from 3:30 to 5:30.
- There's an adult Halloween party on Friday night at The Winterset Stage from 7:00 to 10:00, featuring the classic rock band "Get Off My Lawn." Tickets are available at www.thewintersetstage.org.
- And on the other end of town, there's a family Halloween party at the Sk8n Station at the same time, 7:00 to 10:00:
- On Saturday afternoon, students from 6th through 12th grade are invited to participate in Teens with Tonja at the Winterset Library from 2:30 to 4:00. They are currently working on a video project, but new participants are welcome. Call the library at 462-1731 for more information.
- Saturday evening is the annual Hamball & Meatball Dinner at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 1120 North 8th Ave., from 4:30 to 7:30. The dinner includes potatoes, green beans, homemade applesauce, pies, cakes, and beverages. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for kids age 5-10. Kids four and under eat free. You can call 462-9408 for carryout, and they also offer free delivery in town to shut-ins.
|The hamball dinner is a Winterset classic. Don't miss it!|
- After dinner on Saturday (7:00 p.m.), or on Sunday afternoon (5:00 p.m.), there are two showings of "Heaven is For Real" (PG) at the Iowa Theater, both accepting a freewill offering for admission.
- On Sunday from 11:00 to 3:00, the Winterset Art Center is having its annual Chili Day fundraiser. In addition to chili (from mild to wild), they are serving salads, desserts, and drinks.
Looking ahead to next week, mark your calendar for the following:
- Get your tickets for the Winterset Community Education Foundation's Fall Fling, preferably by November 3rd to ensure a seat! The event is on November 10th at the Jackson Building, starting at 6:00. Contact Amy Nolan (462-7009) or Linda Darling (462-3961) for more information.
- Adult basketball/open gym is held on Wednesdays from 6:45 to 9:00 p.m. at the high school, from November 5th through early April 8th. It's a great opportunity for men and women (18 and up, out of high school) to stay active during the cold winter months. Contact the Winterset Parks & Recreation Department for more information.
- WHS and The Winterset Stage will present the fall high school musical next Friday (7:00) and Saturday (2:00 and 7:00). The talented cast of "The Music Man" includes:
Harold - Noah Hochstetler
Marian - Rachel Riley
Marian - Rachel Riley
Mrs. Paroo - Jane Sible
Marchellus - Chris McCutchan
The Mayor George Shinn - Ayden Pugh
Eulalie Shinn - Maggie Bonecher
Tommy Djilas - Jacob Jenkins
Zaneeta Shinn - Christan Bertelson
Amaryllis - Morgan Wickman
Winthrop - Kory Pike
Charlie Cowell - Max Shaffer
The School Board - Sagan Phillips , Gabe Esser, Konner Wills
The Pick-a-Little Ladies - Sabrina Allen, Lene' Couture, Nicole Hathaway, MaTayla Simon
The Pick-a-little Lady Chorus - Amanda Riley, Ellie Cox, Kassie Trimble, Shaylan Phillips, Bekah Nau
The Constable - Ethan Christenberry
Gracie Shinn - Adelina Reels
That's all for now. Don't forget to "fall back" one hour overnight on Saturday! Thank you for reading The Winterset Citizen (subscribe here), feel free to send me a message to promote your event at email@example.com, and have a great weekend in Winterset.